[Amps] FW: RF Chokes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] FW: RF Chokes
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:53:59 -0500

 Subject: RE: [Amps] RF Chokes

 This is not as bad as many Internet suggested mods are,
 since the additional C at the bottom of the choke won't
 hurt. Unfortunately some mods on Websites actually hurt
 reliability, but this suggestion is benign. The bad ones
 include resistor grid fuses, increasing power supply
 capacitance, and removing caps across diodes, and increasing
 resistance across electrolytics.

 Food for thought...

 73 Tom

 I started increasing the bypass C. to .01 when I optimized my first Alpha
 77SX for 160m. No electrolytics involved here, but I had a lot of 160m RF
 getting into my house wiring through the Alpha power cord. This mod from
 .001 to ,01 seemed to help. I had no measuring devices to confirm the
 improvement. All I know is that RF was going into the power supply
 compartment via the HV lead from the choke. The B&W 800 choke is marginal
 at best on 160m. I added a second relay switched choke on subsequent SX
 mods to cover 160 and 80m via the band switch.

 Phil