Re: [Amps] grid fuses

To: "'Lon W. Cottingham'" <k5jv@kingwoodcable.com>,"'Amp Reflector'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] grid fuses
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 19:47:03 -0400
Lon W. Cottingham writes:

> but why pay $200 ++  for a 3-500Z when a 6 cent, 1/4 watt resistor,
> can/will save them from certain demise from several very common
> faults?

If fusing the grid is so "safe" why is it not used in commercial
transmitters?  If it protects a tube so well, why has no tube
manufacturer recommended it (they recommend a surge limiting resistor
in the anode circuit)?

I have worked on many commercial and broadcast transmitters over the
past 30+ years and not one had any kind of grid fusing.  Every one of
them had current limiting in the anode circuit and many had electronic
"trips" that would dump the stored charge in the power supply (known
as a "crowbar") in the event of a fault.  In fact, a "fuse" in the
grid circuit is the opposite of what a qualified design engineer would
use as it would keep the transmitter off the air until a maintenance
person could physically strip down an amplifier to replace the fuse
rather than simply reset/recycle when the fault clears.

> I guess many of us are as blind and closed minded about amplifier
> theory as we are about politics.

As P. T. Barnum is credited with saying, "There is a fool born every
minute."  It's those fools that keep snake oil salesmen and e-mail
scammers in business.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV