Re: [Amps] Grid fuses (was: Life and gain of 3-500Z)

To: "Peter Voelpel" <df3kv@t-online.de>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid fuses (was: Life and gain of 3-500Z)
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:00:06 -0400
No wonder the resistors opened.
At 100mA grid current there are already 0,27W heating them
up. Most
resistors are rated with their wattage at a 25°C
environment.>>

Actually resistors and fuses both are very unreliable for
life when operated anywhere near their ratings. Not only
that, a fuse can tolerate several times the operating
current under brief duration overloads while a resistor can
tolerate dozens or even hundreds of times its rating.

The only way to go when you want to approach and not exceed
a certain critical limit is an electronic overload circuit.

Grid current usually is one third of anode current in
grounded grid linears.>>

Not really. It all depends on the tube and how the tube is
used. An 8877 can be killed by 10-20 seconds of grid current
time at 200mA (that's about 1/5th of anode current), and
much less than that at higher grid currents. The damage is
also cumulative over repeated short overloads.  Try to find
a resistor or fuse that will fail in less than a second or
two at 100-150mA and not fail over hours of use at 50mA. It
can't be done.

When I was prototyping a 3CX800 amplifier I disconnected the
grid protection because I assumed I could watch for
overloads. Afet a days worth of what I thought were small
tuning mistakes that I caught soon enough I ruined the
tubes. I reconnected the electronic overload and never lost
another tube.

73 Tom