Re: [Amps] Grid fuses (was: Life and gain of 3-500Z)

To: "Mike Schatzberg" <cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid fuses (was: Life and gain of 3-500Z)
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:23:18 -0700
Tnx, Mike.
  A few years ago I ran some tests on the 30-ohm, 0.5W resistors we
were using for grid fusing and concluded that a 3-500Z two-holer amp
would have to produce over 350mA of grid current per tube in order to
blow them , so we switched to 0.25W units.

Has anyone else who bought one of our suppressor retrofit kits
experienced consistent grid fusing R failures with 0.25watters?

On Jul 21, 2006, at 5:07 AM, Mike Schatzberg wrote:

> I imagine, because this is some years ago now, that I was seeing
> not more
> than approximately 100 mils per tube, or a total of 200 mils for
> the pair
> grid current.
>
> When I run the amp, take it from my amp museum and fire it up
> periodically,
> I still run it the same way today.  The resistors are still in
> there, but at
> 1/2 watt for equalization purposes.
>
> I have receive several emails from other list members indicating
> that they
> too had nuisance failures with their 1/4 watt resistors, and have
> changed
> the component to 1/2 watt as well, with no more failures.  It is
> interesting
> how many folks will not offer their experiences on the reflector,
> but only
> directly.
>
> I believe that in general both resistors blew at the same time, but
> it might
> not have been so in every case.  It did happen numerous times before I
> changed the wattage.
>
> This was with Chinese tubes, ones for which I have never been able
> to obtain
> spec sheets.  Although my wattmeters are not traceable to NITS,
> they all
> read the same thing here, and the amp was loaded to 1.5 KW output
> (which I
> have been told here is impossible) with less than 100 watts drive,
> when the
> resistors opened in SSB.
>
> By the way, I have also received emails from list members who have
> stated
> that they always see about a 10% increase in output for given drive
> with the
> Chinese tubes.  I guess the combination of all my wattmeters
> reading exactly
> the same amount higher than they should, and the 10% greater output
> might be
> an explanation for the 1.5 KW readings.  One day I'll get a laboratory
> instrument here on loan, and check their accuracy.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
> W2AJI

>>> if the resistors (film flame proof) had a temperature memory so to