Re: [Amps] Grid fuses (was: Life and gain of 3-500Z)

To: dezrat@copper.net, r@somis.org
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid fuses (was: Life and gain of 3-500Z)
From: "S. J. Blackwell" <w5lu@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:59:53 -0500

Bill,
In my younger days, 1949-51, I built an 813 Amp modulated by TZ-40's in PP.
The 813 used grid leak bias, no fixed bias supply. I used a VR150 to develop
bias and placed a high quality (for the time) paper cap across the VR tube.
My plan was to always put B+ on the amp with drive. I could then key the
driver(off) and the VR tube would extinguish. This would leave a fixed bias
on the grid stored in the cap, cutting off the 813 between CW dits and dahs.
I had assumed that the 813 would eat itself if I forgot to turn on the drive
power when the B+ was switched on. (screen supply was a dropping resistor
from B+). Of course the plan was not fool proof, but much to my surprise ,
with the grid floating with the VR150  hung off it  the 813 never did melt
down, even with no grid bias and the grid floating on the VR150. I allways
assumed the electron space charge from the filament charged up the cap. I
was just a kid then and had forgotten about that old amp. Your comments
reminded me. Used a BC 696 with 6V6 multipliers to get to 20 meters.
   Just an old memory from the fun old days.