Re: [Amps]Grid fuses (was: ?Life and gain of 3-500Z)

To: g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Amps]Grid fuses (was: ?Life and gain of 3-500Z)
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 04:31:23 -0700
On Jul 21, 2006, at 3:20 AM, Peter Chadwick wrote:

>>> If the tube is not gassy, and the grid is floating, the
>>> electron
>>> stream from the cathode probably raises the grid-cathode
>>> (fil-CT)
>>> potential to a few volts negative
>
> So if it doesn't matter, why do tube manufacturers specify a
> maximum grid - cathode resistance for a lot of tubes?

To keep the grid potential from wandering and degrading performance,
not to prevent a catastrophe.

- note - If there's someone here who is presently working on a 3-500Z
amplifier, please float the grid and report back what happens.

> Even low power audio tubes used in Class A?
> My experience is that exceeding the the maximum grid-cathode
> resistance can (but not always does) lead to a plate current
> runaway, even in tubes with no measurable gas (as measured by grid
> current)

Why doesn't the effect of arriving electrons take the grid in the
negative direction?

> 73
> Peter G3RZP

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734