Re: [Amps] Grid fuses

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid fuses
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps071806@w4zt.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:08:39 -0400
Chris Howard wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 12:40, Tony King - W4ZT wrote:
>>  If the
>> amp contains series elements between the grid and ground, once they
>> fail, it will still be very unlikely that the arc will extinguish before
>> the energy from the filter caps is depleted. But, should that happen,
>> then significant cathode current could occur and bias would have no
>> effect since the grid would no longer be connected to ground.
>
> I'll cogitate on that...
>
> I guess that is what I was getting at.  If grid is hard tied to
> ground, then arc between cathode--grid could continue
> even after the plate--grid--cathode arc is done (?). (Depending on the
> configuration of the power supplies as you said.)  So if that is true
> than having some series elements between grid and ground would make
> sense.  It looks like if arcing happens you have to stop two routes
> to stop it.

Only one... kill the HV with either a proper HV fuse and/or trip the HV
supply off line. For the same reason you can't depend on a blown
resistor to stop the arc, you can't depend on a low voltage fuse to stop
it either.  That's a big mistake that some make, using a conventional
3AG fuse in the HV lead. When a 250 fuse is used in the HV lead, when it
blows, the vaporized metal plasma will allow the arc to continue until
the fuse literally explodes.

73, Tony W4ZT