Re: [Amps] grid fuses

To: <craxd1@verizon.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] grid fuses
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:00:12 -0400
Will writes:

> Joe, your not compairing apples to apples here. Your
> compairing a vary large capacitor to a piece of wire about a
> foot long (if that) when its straightened out. I've never
> seen the grid in a tube charge up by setting on the shelf.
> Also, the re-charging of the large capacitor is caused by
> something else all together different than what's in question.

You're the one who raised the capacitor issue:

>> That would be like a capacitor charging up with only
>> one lead connected to a power supply, and the other lead left
>> un-connected. It can do it before the fuse blows, but not
>> afterwards, there's just no path for it to work.

The grid can and will become positive in the presence of an
electrode stream and voltages on the other electrodes.  A screen
will certainly go to full anode potential and destroy the tube
if disconnected with B+ applied.  If it is hot (from either
excess grid current, electron bombardment or anode to grid arc)
a control grid will certainly climb high enough that it can arc
to the cathode or filament.  These are totally different than a
tube setting on the shelf or setting in circuit without filament
power or B+ applied.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV