Re: [Amps] "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work

To: g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Amps] "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work
From: Chris Howard <chris@yipyap.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:18:32 -0600

I don't have a dog in this fight.  I've enjoyed and appreciated
you guys educating me.

>From where things ended up, it looks like some body of
people say that the grid fuse/resistor idea really works
and they are convinced their experience proves it.

There is another body of people that use reasoning/logic/etc
to say that it could never work.

I myself have a bit of a hard time with the universal
negative: "that will never work" type of argument.
But I appreciate that folks on both sides have a lot
more experience that I do.

The real lesson for me was that there is such a fundamental
disagreement on what is going on inside that little glass
box.  It definitely doesn't look like settled doctrine.
And that's OK with me, I can live with a little bit
of ambiguity.

The floating grid issue seems kind of intriguing.
Maybe I'll get out some old octals or something and play
around with that and see what happens. The "Tubes 201"
guy seems to go both ways, one sentence says never float
the grid, and the next sentence seems to allow for it.

73

Chris
w0ep