Re: [Amps] "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 22:33:07 -0400
Keith,

Since it's loose from ground, and no corcuit can be made, it hangs in space,
and can only be acted upon by the electron flow from the cathode. In this case,
if the grid is slightly more positive, it will accept some electrons thus
bringing it to 0 volts or slightly negative to ground. This is called coming
into equilibrium or equalling out. If the tube is not slightly positive, it
will not accept any electrons, and the electron flow will be opposed by the
grid. Terman, and I think the author of Tubes 201 discuss this. In any case,
the grid can never be made positive by these actions taking place.

Earlier, when Rich mentioned about grids, I thought he meant a grid becoming
positive. Bill posted what he meant which is correct and the same as above. I
privately told Rich of this, and am sorry I questioned him, it was a
mis-understanding. We actually were meaning the same thing at the time. Rich
like me does not believe a grid can become positive by being bombarded by
electrons. Even if a grid gets to the point of emitting electrons from being
hot, they are replaced by the electron flow from the cathode. By reading some
other texts, none of those do either.

Best,

Will