Re: [Amps] "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work

To: <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:10:34 +0200
Peter wrote:
"(why only half? - the idea of the cascode is that the low load impedance on
the first stage minimises the voltage swing and thus the Miller effect. So a
lower impedance with the two halves of the 6J6 in parallel would seem to be
indicated)"

This was the subject of considerable discussion in the VHF community in the
50's.
It appears that the outcome was that the increase of interelectrode
capacitances by paralleling two sections offset the higher gm of using two 6J6
sections.

I have a 6AK5/6J6 cascode 2m converter (SM5VL design) hidden somewhere in the
more ancient layers of the "junk-box". It may be interesting to evaluate this
converter using modern instrumentation and methods and verify the difference
between one or two sections.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM