Re: [Amps] "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:53:34 -0400
John,

Where did I flip flop? I've always said a grid could not become positive from
the methods being discussed. So did Terman if any will read the same edition I
have. Nowhere in the 1st edition, which I have, says a grid became positive. It
only says "less negative". The quote I made is exactly word for word what was
in print except for one mispelled word I caught. Once one reads this whole
section on gassy tubes, and the one that talks about space charge, you can see
what is really meant. There's only one possible cause of a grid ever becoming
positive, and that is only for part of a cycle from a grid being driven into
that region by the incoming signal. I posted this earlier, and wha was said
about it. The only other would be to purposely place a positive potential on
the grid. Were not talking about this here, only about what would happen with a
gassy tube or about a grid which is floating. When Terman says suddenly
positive, it means suddenly more positive than what it was at
  that moment. It would never go above ground potential or 0 Vdc from electron
flow. He says this in various other places in the book. One has to read the
whole chapter on vacuum tubes to see all of this. One can't be like some
preachers and take one verse from the Bible and say it means something else. If
you read before and after the verse, you find that it meant something totally
different than they professed. I've seen this happen before. By what Tom says,
Terman is flip flopping, or was wrong. Did he lie the first time? Some how, I
don't think so.

Best,

Will