[Amps] Tube textbooks TSPA

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Tube textbooks TSPA
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:53:14 -0600
W8JI has an extensive website of amplifier and tube tutorials now.
Impressive work, Tom.
I tried to look at the text by Giocoletto on vacuum tubes, but
couldn't get the link to work.

Here is one link that i think you might be interested. I was at the
RCA factory (Burle Industries) in Lancaster PA in March, checking on
an autopsied super power triode that I returned. In the engineering
department, I noted that everyone had a big burgandy book on their
shelves called Electron Tube Design. Not being familiar with that,
and I have many of the standard textbooks, I took a look. This was an
internal RCA written book, "Privated Issued by Electron Tube
Division, RCA, for use by its employess and for restricted
distribution". At that time they were unable to give or sell me a
copy, but I coveted that book and was determined to read it somehow.
(well, not all of it, its HUGE).

The power of the web for information never ceases to amaze me. I
searched and found that John Atwood has gotten hold of a copy - who
knows, maybe from a retired RCA employee or a yard sale of someones
personal effects. Figures that this thing wouldn't be 'internal use
only' forever. They cut the book apart and scanned every page.

There are two different editions, but the most useful is the First
printing, 1962, of Electron Tube Design. The earlier one is from the
late 1930s, called Vacuum Tube Design. Mr. R. Burnap, retired manager
of commercial engineering, edited the book, and it has 53 articles
(chapters) written by experts in many fields at RCA from Princeton
(now Sarnoff?), both the Harrison labs and production facility as
well as Lancaster. The editors read as a list of who's who in tube
design! It covers emitters, getters, metals, metallurgy, fabrication,
vacuum, insulation, seals, cleaning, design, application for
receiving and industrial and high power tubes. It complements the
classic texts that you folks have been quoting recently. Not quite as
congested as the larger Radiotron Designers Handbook, but equal in
technical depth.

Here is the link, be prepared for extremely large file size:

http://www.pmillett.com/technical_books_online.htm

One more thing, I have mentioned this before, pick up a used copy of
Rosebury (MIT-1965) "Handbook of Electron Tube and Vacuum Techniques"
and one of the editions of Kohl's "Handbook of Materials and
Techniques for Vacuum Devices" or "Material and Techniques for
Electron Tubes".

Happy reading, we may learn more about tubes than our parents knew....
73
John
K5PRO