Re: [Amps] plexiglas isolation in coils

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] plexiglas isolation in coils
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:08:00 +0100
Peter Voelpel wrote:

>I always found the micro wave oven test helpful in advance when I had
>materials to be crafted by someone else on a lathe or mill. Is there
>any material which would pass that test but fail on HF?

The microwave oven test is good for sorting materials into ranking
order. Based on the temperature rise that you observe (with similar
samples, heated together in the same average field strength) you can say
"A is better than B", "C is better than B, but not so good as A" and so
on.

For the kinds of materials you would consider as RF insulators, the
ranking order at HF will be the same as you determined at 2.45GHz.

But you still don't know if a material will fail at HF, because you
don't know the dielectric stress involved. In the wrong place (where the
E-field gradient is high) almost any material will fail. In a place
where E-fields are very low, many more materials will be OK.

In your particular application, you will simply have to try the
plexiglass and see what happens.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek