[Amps] 160m RTTY

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, W7RY <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Subject: [Amps] 160m RTTY
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:15:26 +0200 (CEST)
Tom said (in the plexiglas thread, but we're wandering a bit from that)
>The reason RTTY isn't on 160 is it doesn't work very well on
160. Multipath kills it.<

I don't know how bad the multipath is, and obviously, it's going to depend on
the path length and so on. However, SS Loran (Skywave Synchronised) LORAN was
used in WW2 operating in 160m (How many of us are old enough to remember LORAN
on top band?) SS Loran was used with sync from one end of the Mediterranean to
the other to provide navigation for bombing raids into Romania, and also in the
Atlantic for convy escort (see the MIT Radiation Lab. series)  The Loran pulses
were a lower prf than 45.5 baud RTTY signal, but were quite short, so multipath
would smear them out quite a lot. However, it was claimed that they could get
to within 400 yards in mid Atlantic, which suggests around 1 microsecond of
uncertainty, using stations in the UK, Canada and I believe, Bermuda.
Tom, comment, please?
73
Peter G3RZP