Re: [Amps] Grid Vs cathode drive

To: dezrat@copper.net, g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid Vs cathode drive
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 09:51:36 +0200 (CEST)
Looking back through my old  (late 1950's and 1960's)ARRL handbooks, the
100watt rig was pretty standard - Heath, Hallicrafters, Collins. So I think it
would have stayed pretty much that way, rather than a high gain amp.
There are no restrictions in the UK, except that commercially produced
equipment has to meet what are called 'interface standards' under the Radio &
Telecommunications Terminal Equipment Directive of the EU (the R&TTE). For
commercially available ham gear, these are basic EMC ( rubbish injected into
the mains), noise radiation and conducted spurious emissions - the levels of
which are in places, less stringent than the licencing requirements - but the
authorities carefully ignore that as having too much potential for trouble!
Homebrew, modified commercial gear and kits intended for radio amateurs are
specifically excluded - and that exclusion for ham radio is enshrined in EU
law. A little known or recognised achievement by the IARU.

73
Peter G3RZP