Re: [Amps] Grid vs cathode driven

To: Jbenson@sohu.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid vs cathode driven
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 10:13:44 +0200 (CEST)
Hsu said:
>I think we can use similar design in RF amplifier, add a wide band HV RF
>transformer to change the push-pull output to single end output, so we can use
>same Pi network as same as single end 811A GG amplifier,even we can useing RF
>transformer reduce the output impedance, so we can use inexpensive low volt
>air capacitor(reciving caps).simple input net work, withou screen and grid PS,
>cheap out put Pi network,it seems very perfect amplifier!<
I would be very dubious about the practicality of making the transformer.
You're looking for a wideband transformer from about 13k ohm or so down to
whatever, and that means a lot of primary inductance, and thus capacity
(because of the number of turns) You also need a lot of ferrite to avoid
saturation. With a low impedance arrangement ( say a lot of sweep tubes) it
becoems more practial because the impedance is lower.
73
Peter G3RZP