Re: [Amps] grid resonance

To: r@somis.org, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] grid resonance
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 15:35:34 -0400
I read the PDF about the HP 4191A from Coilcraft and didn't see anything
out of the ordinary excapt some LCR meters bound to not to be calibrated.
Either this or they were used to measure an inductor outside of their range.
In any manual that comes with any decent LCR meter, they tell you that
the measurements are frequency dependant, and that the frequency has
to be changed according to what range your in. If the meter measures a
false reading after this, it is out of calibration. If the meter has a range
that
says it will measure a certain device, then it should as it has to be calibrated
to measure on at that frequency. If I recall, the Tektronix one was an older
style LCR meter with a low frequency range. The Meguro's, I'm not familiar
with as to how they work (two wire or four wire, etc). It's funny they didn't
compare the 4191A to a General Radio (GenRad) or a ESI (Tegam) which
makes measuring L, C, and R their specialty. All this whole text showed
was that the 4191A had a 100 MHz measurement function available, nothing
more. It also showed that if the Tek, Meguro, Boonton, and the other HP said
they would measure the device, they was either out of calibration or someone
was trying read a device outside their range in my opinion. I'll guarantee you
that if HP said the 4192A would measure a certain device, it would before it
left
the factory as they are one of the few direct NIST traceable labs available.
I'll also
guarantee that a precise NIST traceable standard was used to calibrate it at
HP too. After it left, it's untelling who may have had their fingers in it. If
it
measured a device correctly there, it should at another location.

Best,

Will