Re: [Amps] Tuned Input - IMD and efficiency

To: Mike <hinrgdj@midsouth.rr.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tuned Input - IMD and efficiency
From: George badger <gbadger@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 00:24:54 -0700 (PDT)
Mike
You have a good memory. Thanks for the kind words
about the baluns. They are so simple and clean. They
are voltage baluns. W7EL and others  [later] pointed
out that current baluns are better for loads that may
be unbalanced. In fact, voltage baluns can sometimes
create more problems than they were supposed to solve.
I am now trying to make current baluns based on
similar construction.
In my comment on grounded grid amplifier input
capacitance, I was referring to all types of power
tubes, directly heated, indirectly heated with
isolated heater and indirectly heated with connected
heater like the YC156. In all cases the cathode must
be isolated from ground for RF drive.
Someone mentioned recommended high capacitance values
for pi network input circuits. The input circuit must
provide adequate Q, matching, and a path to ground for
harmonic current. The tuner provides the Q and the
matching . The capacitor provides the path to ground
for high harmonics.
73

George   W6TC