Re: [Amps] Spam from Members of this List ...

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Spam from Members of this List ...
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 08:22:29 +0100
Steve Thompson wrote:

>Tony King - W4ZT wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Hotmail used to be well known for releasing all their email addresses to
>> the wild. I don't know how they are today.  I have managed to keep quite
>> a few email addresses completely hidden from the world and I use them
>> every day. The key is that you nor anyone you send email to lets them
>> out. That is very difficult to do.
>
>Can I highlight one thing in this regard - I get emails intentionally
>sent to a large list of people from someone's address book. Maybe it's
>about amps policy, maybe an address change or new mobile number. The
>list of names is almost always simply copied into the 'to' or 'cc'
>field, so they are visible to every recipient. Any one of the recipients
>who has, or falls victim to, a harvesting virus gives up the entire list.
>
>If you're sending to a whole bunch of people, please do everyone a
>favour and use blind copy, or 'bcc'.

Agreed.

A large chunk of this problem is the creeping habit of sending an
individual 'courtesy' copy of a reply that is also being posted to the
list. Many kinds of e-mail software do this by default (unfortunately,
some would say) and they pick up the originator's address from the
message header.

Many people (myself included) do not feel the need for that extra copy
at all. We're going to read your message on the list anyhow, and having
two copies in the system only invites confusion. You could say it is
more courteous *not* to send an extra copy.

But where it really crosses the line is when someone *deliberately adds*
the addresses of other people who have previously posted on the same
topic... or even a previous topic. Next thing you know, you're receiving
two copies of dam'near every message on the list. And because so many
people's software defaults to "Reply All", it quickly creates a whole
unwanted pool of mail.

I don't believe that adding extra addresses (beyond the one originator)
had any malicious intent, but it is certainly a Bad Thing. Sending
copies to multiple people is what this mailing list is FOR!

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK