[Amps] QEX article for medium voltage MOSFET linear amplifier link

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] QEX article for medium voltage MOSFET linear amplifier link
From: mike kendall <ke6cvh@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 05:40:21 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all,
    I already had some schematics and .PDF for this item before the article
came out but here goes.
    OK, I haven't even finished reading it yet but this is the article that
everyone has been waiting to come out.  It is a 1.5KW linear using two MOSFET
devices from MICROSEMI (formerly APT).  The ONLY problem I can find with this
unit is long wait times for the MOSFET devices (I've been quoted 3-4 month lead
time from some of MICROSEMI's vendors that are willing to stock it) and they
are pricey at over $200each.
    I have been working on all the piece parts for over a month and have
actually found another company making medium voltage devices suitable for
broadband HF applications.  I may be going with the other company as they are
not giving me the long lead time run around and their components are noticeably
cheaper and have the same voltage requirement of 100volts on the Vdd.
    I think that MICROSEMI would sell alot of these devices if they would be
willing to take the approach that GIGAVAC does with their vacuum relays.  With
GIGAVAC, if you are a ham and use a credit card that has the same billing name
as the amateur radio operator callsign you may purchase a limited amount of
devices (5) per year.  MICROSEMI formerly did not want to deal this way and I
am well into building a linear with no "engine" or RF components.  This is what
got me looking for the alternative source and I have found one.
    Here is the link for the great QEX article:
  http://www.arrl.org/qex/2006/09/qx9ohsawa.pdf
  Best 73,
  Mike Kendall