Re: [Amps] Checking for IMD

To: "'Joe Subich, W4TV'" <w4tv@subich.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Checking for IMD
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:32:36 -0400

But if we tune outside the range of the roofing filter it is said that we
will miss some of the lower order close in IM products. :>)

I have some receivers with no roofing filters and they do fine as long as
you keep the signal levels down (attenuator) so as not to overload the
receiver.

Some receivers don't even allow you to turn off the agc.

If receiver IM performance is that great a problem how do we even manage to
hear anything intelligible on the bands. Seems there are some mighty strong
signals out there that our receivers have to deal with.

Even if there is some receiver IM generated it only needs to be a few db
below what we are looking for to be masked.

By the way most spectrum analyzers have filters with a rather broad shape
factor compared to our receivers and seem to do just fine.

73
Gary  K4FMX