Re: [Amps] Questions on hot switching 2700V B+ to a 3CX800 amp.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Questions on hot switching 2700V B+ to a 3CX800 amp.
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 12:55:05 -0400
>    I have long been disappointed on the noise and
> mechanical vibration
> noises created by these puppies.  They also get quite warm
> just sitting
> there idling, I think mainly because of the heavy bleeder
> resistors across
> the filter caps.

Mike,

How much power are the bleeders actually dissipating? Did
you ever look at that?
I'd know that first before planning anything.

The things I'd learn are the power in bleeders, the power to
run the blower, and the current draw off the power lines
during idle. That would give you some idea of the payback
for the work.

Personally, I'd never switch the HV off and on at short
intervals. You should never apply RF drive to a cathode
driven amp without HV being present. With a 3CX800 the grid
current surge could eat up the tubes.

73 Tom