Re: [Amps] TL-922 question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL-922 question
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:09:43 -0500
Sorry I responded to this question last evening via my blackberry.
Apparently it only sent the message to the original poster.

Just a little preview:
I put myself through college in the 70's working at the Ham Dealer in
Minneapolis as their tech.  It was a Collins, Drake, Yashmoo, early Icoms
ish, Ten-tec, Hallicrafters, Henry and KENWOOD dealer.  We had everything.

I have seen this exact problem before.  While all the responses sound
logical and everybody has figured out exactly why this problem exists. (not
enough padder) unless you'd seen this problem exactly before you'd miss it
and scratch your head. I had this happen on an almost new amplifier.

A loading control padder cap that is in common on both 80 and 160 has opened
up.  Because of the way the amp is built this unit is really sandwiched into
the amp.  There was no way to physically see the damage to this unit until
it was removed from the amplifier.  From the top it looks like it is still
in perfect shape.

While band switches fail, arc spark etc, usually they can be wiggled for a
time and get connection back.  When this thing pops its all over.

If I remember correctly the access for this was from the side, it took
taking all the cabinet off.  It was more than 20 years ago I fixed this.

Also I think this firebox switched in a cap on 40 also, make sure 40 is
within reasonable range too as the fact that you can get power out on 80 and
160 a small value has gone caput on you shifting the loader to zero.  The 40
cap might be the actual culprit.

Have at it. Dr. Bob K0DD