Re: [Amps] TL-922 question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL-922 question
From: "Georgens, Tom" <Tom.Georgens@netapp.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:03:24 -0700
Thanks for the many responses to my TL922 question.

I should add that this amp has seen a great deal of travel and
contesting.  In fact, it is in Barbados right now.  The frequent travel
has created a number of mechanical issues that we might not normally
see.  I suspect it was part of the problem with the blocking cap
failing.  Since it is about the most heavy duty part in the box, I
suspect it was a mechanically induced failure.

>From the responses, I see two possibilities.

1. Replacing the blocking cap may have necessitated increasing the
padder caps on 80 and 160.  It seems like all the load positions are a
bit less than the manual would indicate.  The other bands are still in
range.

2. The 80 meter padder cap, which is also used on 160, is actually 2
ganged sections of the 5 section Load variable cap.  It is possible that
this cap has become disconnected somewhere in the path from the
bandswitch to ground.  The 160 padders are discrete components

When I get to work on the amp again I will,

1. Check the mechanical integrity of the 80 meter padder cap connections
2. Up the blocking cap to 2000pf since this seems to be a better value
for this purpose.
3. IF these do not work, add some more padder capacitance to the 80
meter Padder.

Does this sound right?

73, Tom