Re: [Amps] Parasitics & Filament Sag

To: "R L Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Parasitics & Filament Sag
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 05:35:57 -0700
From: "R L Measures" <r@somis.org>

>> Perhaps, but your claim that infinite current will flow if an L-
>> network
>> if it is tuned to resonance at the operating frequency is simply
>> incorrect.
>> If that were true, tuning an amp would be a lot more dicey than it is.
>
> Is there a source of infinite current in an amplifier?
> Are there ESR = 0-ohm inductors and capacitors in an amplifier?
> IOW, its a theoretical problem, not a practical one.
>
> My point is that an L-network can never have equal amounts of XL and XC.

Sure it can. Even if you are using ideal components with
infinite unloaded Q, and an ideal voltage source (zero
ohms source impedance), you can't get infinite current to
flow in an L-network at "resonance" (XC=XL) if there
is a finite load resistance across the output.  Do the math,
and you'll see that even if you get the voltages across the
L and C equal in magnitude, you won't be able to get them
opposite in phase if there is a finite load resistance across
the output. Only in the case where there is no load across
the output can the voltages cancel completely.

73, Mike W4EF.............