Re: [Amps] Technical specification question, possibly OT !

To: "Martin Sole" <msole@loxinfo.co.th>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Technical specification question, possibly OT !
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:33:32 +0200
At least in my opinion it is certainly somewhat odd to test HF equipment
according to specifications for
25 kHz channel spacing, which normally is used for VHF/UHF FM equipment.

However, it is quite likely that your HF equipment will pass the tests with
"flying colours"...

The "occupied bandwidth" specifications that I am most familiar with come from
the "ICAO Annex 10" HF system specifications from which the performance
standards in "ARINC Characteristic 719" are derived. The ICAO and ARINC
"spectrum masks" are in the form of "stair step shaped" masks or templates,
with the emission center frequency in the middle. 99% of the emission power
should be contained within this center portion, which is referred as 0 dB.

Further out, spaced a multiple of the "occupied bandwidth" from the center
frequency, there are "steps" that are a suitable amount of dB down from the
center to accommodate 3rd and higher order IM products.

The emissions used in these specifications are the J2D (datalink traffic using
audio subcarriers into an SSB transmitter), J3E (SSB voice) and H2A ( SELCAL
emission; SSB with full carrier and tone modulation).

As far as I know, amateur equipment in most parts of the world are currently
exempt from explicit "occupied bandwidth" specifications, but there have
recently been discussions about an ETSI spectral purity specification for
transmitters in general.

This regulation, if adopted, would impose an "occupied bandwidth" requirement
and measurement for all transmitting equipment offered for sale in the EU
countries.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM