[Amps] leaking tubes TSPA

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] leaking tubes TSPA
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:35:59 -0600
Tom et al,
Just to give you an example of how tube envelopes can and do leak,
our RCA/Burle 7835 triodes (3 MW, 200 MHz, pulsed) have a 'legal'
warranty of ~50 hours. This 'warranty' is only valid if we keep the
appendage ion pump on top of the tube connected to a power supply at
least every 60 days. So in storage we have ion pumps running on all
tubes. We have large klystrons from CPI - that we keep the ion pumps
connected at all times, even for spares. These large tubes (bigger
than a person can lift) will slowly degrade into worthless
counterweights if they are kept in storage and not pumped
continuously or at least at regular intervals. Trying to recondition
a tube that is very gassy, without a lot of damaging arcs, is risky
and time consuming. Functioning power supply crowbars are, of course,
mandatory to meet the manufacturers warranties as well.

73
John
K5PRO
at a particle accelerator