Re: [Amps] amplifier design

To: goldy98@mchsi.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] amplifier design
From: "wc6w@juno.com" <wc6w@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:29:52 GMT
Hi Scott,
  There is an optimum form factor for maximum inductance per unit of
wire, and another for minimum capactitance for a given inductance.
This is all old knowledge -- See either the 1937 or 1943 Terman
books.  There are also other cogent factors: What you have or can
acquire and... what will fit in the available space.  :-)

  An interesting discussion of Tank circuits may be found in 73
Magazine, Feb. 1962, p12...

  Incidently the formulas found for Pi-nets in the ARRL handbooks
were calculated from an ancient approximation and exhibit some
noticable error at lower transformation ratios.  There was an article
with the correct math in QST, August 1983 p.23...

  Plate load resistance for given operating conditions may typically
be found on a tube's data sheet.  A copy of "Care & Feeding of Power
Grid Tubes" by Eimac/Varian/CPI (any edition 1970's thru current) may
also prove enlightening.

73 & Good morning,
  Marv WC6W

http://wc6w.50webs.com/

-- "Scott & Laura Goldensoph" <goldy98@mchsi.com> wrote:
I have looked at these and they still leave me scratching my head.
One example: How do you determine the diameter of the tank circuit?
How do you figure the optimum load resistance? I've gone through the
formulas in the 2005 ARRL handbook and it does explain it some but
not from a beginners standpoint.