Re: [Amps] Titan 425 Reflected Power

To: "'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Titan 425 Reflected Power
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:00:45 -0500
Hi Jim,

If I am reading your post correctly it sounds to me that everything is near
normal.

I don't know the titan amp but assume it operates like most other amps.

The first thing you want to do with your antenna tuner that should be
between the amp and antenna, and your bird between the tuner and amp, is
adjust the antenna tuner for a 1:1 match on the bird with just the exciter
on or the amp on it doesn't matter. Then DON'T touch the antenna tuner
again!

Now tune up the amp in the normal manor, for greatest output with whatever
amount of drive it is supposed to have. If the amp is under loaded the grid
current will be higher with the same amount of drive. The grid current will
drop as you load the amp heavier.

See what the SWR is between the exciter and the amp when the amp is
operating at full (normal) power and normal drive and fully loaded. It
should be under 2:1.

I assume that the amp is grounded grid; if you are going to adjust the
matching coils on the input of the amp or another tuner between the amp and
exciter, that adjustment needs to be done at full (normal) drive and full
(normal) power out of the amp. If you try and adjust the input match at a
lower power level the impedance will change as the amp puts out more power
or as you tune the plate circuit of the amp. That is a characteristic of
grounded grid amplifiers.

The SWR between the amp and the antenna tuner on the antenna should never
change.

Now if you switch the amp to standby and the exciter just feeds through the
SWR as seen at the exciter may be different than that seen on the bird meter
at the input of the antenna tuner. This would be due to a not perfect 50 ohm
path through the amps coax change over relay.

73
Gary  K4FMX