Re: [Amps] HV Turn On Delay

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV Turn On Delay
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:17:09 -0700
Tom W8JI wrote:

> Whenever cathode current demand exceeds emission capability
> for the cathode operating  temperature or surface area, the
> cathode can be chemically poisoned. This is why
> indirectly-heated tubes or oxide-cathode tubes must have
> long controlled warm-up times before any cathode current is
> drawn.

I believe that a similar issue can arise with directly-heated cathodes,
although the delay is much shorter.  I had a 3-500Z amplifier with a
step start arrangement that took about 1 second to apply full filament
voltage.  On one occasion I stupidly threw the switch and immediately
started sending CW, without waiting for the step start to kick in.
Immediately thereafter the tube produced significantly less output for a
given amount of drive.  In time it recovered a bit, but I ultimately
replaced the tube.  Next time I'll interlock the step start with the ptt
line.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco