Re: [Amps] Need Some Experienced Feedback Here...

To: "'Ed Swynar'" <gswynar@durham.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need Some Experienced Feedback Here...
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:53:15 -0500
Eddy,

The experience you were experiencing were changes in the fixed caps value
due to heating of the components.  Even though your doorknobs were rated at
20KV it is the current flow through them that heats the units.

I had run into this same situation modifying commercial / military equipment
for top band, usually just a couple hundred pf on the tuning and loading
sides would be all that was needed to slide coverage from 2.0 to 1.8 MHz.
After putting the hammer down, tuning would drift.  Installing caps of
higher current rating solved the issue.

You must look at the current capability of your components, those mica
blocks usually won't hold up and TV style doorknobs are from HV not high
current circuits, not able to handle the current flow in tuner or loading
duty.

You also need to pay attention as to where your cooling air is headed,
having the hot air off the tubes blowing across your caps even if they are
NPO units will effect their capacitance and add to their eventual break
down.

Vacuum caps no matter what the size usually have enough current rating at
ham power levels.  They are very stable and a great replacement for both
your bread slicers and the fixed units in an amplifier of reasonable price.

HOWEVER at 813 power levels and price / value considerations using a matched
value pair of quality 7500V sized ceramic transmitting fixed caps in
parallel to pad your tuner and loading slicers should be all you need to
distribute the current across all the caps and get you back on the air with
stabile tuning.

Sincerely,

BOB DD