Re: [Amps] Is Amps still in existence?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Is Amps still in existence?
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 20:42:42 +0100
Peter Chadwick wrote:
>GM3SEK said:
>>It's 50mm OD x 125 tall (2in x 5in in old money) but a ceramic former is
>very unlikely to have holes in the right places for securing the two
>separate windings.

> 5 inches
>by 2 inches sounds very like the coil formers used in the old TU5B unit
>for the BC191.

Thank you, Peter - you jogged my memory!  I actually *have* one of those
old ceramic TU5B formers.

Found it, still packed away from the house move, and it did seem about
the right size. Removed the lid from the amp, looked at the fibreglass
former... and the TU5B former is not "about" the right size - it's
EXACTLY the right size. What is more, ALL the holes in the TU5B former
are in EXACTLY the right places - right down to the mounting holes.

Counted the number of turns in the amp coil, above and below the 80m
tap. Then counted the number of spiral turns moulded into the ribs of
the ceramic... but you're ahead of me, aren't you?

I have a funny feeling this "modification" is going to be OK :-)

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Everyone should be so lucky!

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK