Re: [Amps] Peak Power

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Peak Power
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 07:53:34 -0500
***At that point the FCC decided to establish a rule of +125% positive
modulation peaks.

And for ham radio...  What is the maximum percentage of modulation allowed
in a class C plate modulated AM transmitter?  That question has been on
every ham test I'd ever taken since my novice.  Answer class?  100%.

I think what we have here is some hair splitting and definition bashing
going on in respect to PEP measuring.  That's why the FCC changed their
minds and changed us over to OUTPUT measuring instead of Input. With the
advent of SSB, They couldn't figure it out either.

No matter what we do, the FCC lays the burden of proof on the ham to prove
he's running legally.

Back in the golden days, a very prominent California ham was ticketed from
the street, I don't need to mention his name or call.  The Feds did a drive
by with a KWM-2 in their mobile.  That was the loudest signal on 40 meters
they'd ever heard and knocked on the door.  At that point it's pretty hard
to hide the handles.  That's still the biggest BUST in ham history I
believe.

These days the procedure is more defined.  No matter WHAT YOU DO, by the
time they show up in your driveway they've already made up their mind
whether you're going down or not.

They walk into your shack, pull out their trusty BIRD peak reading
wattmeter, screw it onto YOUR coax...  (You can just hope their battery is
dead.) AND START WHISTLING THEIR WAY NOT YOURS... AFTER they figure out how
to make your station BARK, they start writing tickets....  Still a Pretty
slimy way of doing business I might add.  I've had one very long term buddy
screwed over this way and he was busted with a two tube ALPHA...

AN ALPHA 76...

SO?  The guy who runs the two hole 77 would be TOAST in this scenario. All I
can suggest is if there's a knock at your door...  The loading control goes
to ZERO and the exciter power control goes to zero too.

When they say OK tune up, YOU DIAL ABOUT 200 WATTS of power and let them
whistle away.  Because if you make 500, they'll figure out how to ruin your
day.  These guys go to WHISTLING SCHOOL before they are allowed to hit the
streets.

BOB DD