Re: [Amps] What NOT to buy?

To: Clint Talmadge <unclebudd@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] What NOT to buy?
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:10:50 -0400
Hi Clint:  Its a tough question to answer without more information about
what you plan to do with the amp.  What bands do you want it to operate
on?  What modes do you want it to operate on?  Are you a contest op? How
much power do you want to run?  Do you have a 240VAC dedicated line to
operate it from?  Do you want an autotune amp and if not how quickly can
you tune it up?  (will be easier to eliminate some tubes based on your
answer) How much desk/rack/floor space do you have available?  Is a
separate HV PS important to you?  Do you need or want qsk?

If the SB-220 met your needs, then there are quite a few really good
amps available used/old/project types.  Each good one has some
negative(s) as well.  For an equivalent to the SB-220 I would buy the
best Drake L4B I could find and rework the antenna transfer relays to
get rid of the high voltage switching requirement. Second choice would
be a Henry 2KD-5,    I would stay away from the Kenwood TL-922.  Lots
and lots of choices.  What are your requirements beyond teaching
youreself about amps?  73 bob de w9ge