[Amps] More information for "What NOT to buy"..

To: "Amps" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] More information for "What NOT to buy"..
From: "Clint Talmadge" <unclebudd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:39:20 -0500
I have received some great responses to my post.   W1NR sent wonderful
information on different tubes that will prove to be invaluable.  Others have
sent specific amps to avoid and why I should do so, and this is exactly what I
was looking for.

would post them here since others may have the same questions.

Bob asked:
"What bands do you want it to operate on?"

Answer: I am not looking for a band specific amp. While I would like to use it
on the usual Ham Bands, I am not tied to one band.  If the amp did not work on
160M or 10M it would not eliminate it for me.

Bob asked:
"What modes do you want it to operate on?"

SSB & CW mostly. I do some RTTY but that is not a requirement.

Bob asked:
"Are you a contest op?"

Not a serious one. I do operate the contests, but just for the contacts, not
the score (Sweepstakes being the exception, but I don't NEED and amp for that).

Bob asked:
"How much power do you want to run?  "

Legal Limit is not a consideration. I want to learn about amps.

Bob asked:
"Do you have a 240VAC dedicated line to operate it from?  "

Yes.

Bob asked:
"Do you want an autotune amp and if not how quickly can you tune it up?  (will
be easier to eliminate some tubes based on your answer) "

No. In fact I think an Autotune amp would confuse the issue more than help it.
A No-Tune amp such as an AL600 would be O.K. but I don't think there is much of
a learning curve on a Solid State amp.

Bob asked:
"How much desk/rack/floor space do you have available? "

Lots. Space is not a consideration.

Bob asked:
"Is a separate HV PS important to you?  Do you need or want qsk? "

No and no.

I appreciate his questions and the warning about the Kenwood TL-922.

Still learning,
Clint - W5CPT