[Amps] 3CX3000 tuned input calibration

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 3CX3000 tuned input calibration
From: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:12:06 -0400
I just added 160 to my 80/40/20 3CX3000A7 amp.  It is configured as a Pi-L
for the upper bands but I switch the C2 to the other side of L2 for 160M
operation using a RB3 Relay.  The relay also switches in an additional
1000pf. Really works great.  I do have one problem however.  I am using a
Amp Supply tuned input, one that I found at Dayton many yrs ago.  I was able
to approximate the load of the tube by using a 50 ohm non-inductive resistor
and tuned the Arco caps for best match.  This worked great on the upper
bands but the SWR on 160 is still at 2:1, which cuts back the output on my
Mark V.  I assumed that the input impedance of the 3CX3000A7 is ±50 ohms.  I
did not use a blacking cap for my calibration setup and don't think one
would be necessary.  I merely hooked up the 50 resistor to the output of the
tuned circuit and fed power to the input and watched the SWR as I adjusted
the trimmers(one on each side of the toroid inductor).  Any thoughts on what
I'm doing wrong?  BTW, I left the tuned input in its final location under
the RF Deck for the calibration.

73  Bob  W6TR