Re: [Amps] drill bits

To: "'carl s.'" <carlseye@tampabay.rr.com>, <TARC@hamclub.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] drill bits
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:05:26 -0600
WOW Carl, while not a master machinist I have run into this issue before.

If your plate is hardened you have an issue drilling it in the first place.

First you need to chuck up smaller drill to make a pilot hole.  See if you
can get a 1/8th inch bit through the plate.

You will need machine OIL to properly lubricate the bit.

If you cant get the 1/8th through you have a hardened plate.

Regular steel will drill.

ONCE you have a pilot hole, stepping up in bit sizes...  1/4" 3/8th" to 1/2"
would get the job done.  If NONE of your bits are sharp its time for sharp
bits.

Larger the holes the slower a bit needs to turn.  BY the time we got out to
5" (the largest hole I ever drilled we were turning 1 RPM.

Always lube.  A 1/8th in bit can turn quickly (1000 rpm)

BOB DD