Re: [Amps] Class A for AM

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Class A for AM
From: KA5MIR <ars.ka5mir@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:41:25 -0600
Hello Ken,
  One reason for few answers to your question might be that, like a lot of
things, it depends.  There is not "one true answer".  Efficiency is a moving
target with linear AM.  Speech pattern is a huge variable.

But, for the fun of it, lets try to get close.
Requirements: Class A, 1500 Peak, 375 Carrier.  Ok, here are two figures we
can work with.

Class A efficiency = Lets say 25%, an estimate.
1500 watt output.
1500 / .25 = 6000 watts input required.

6000 watts input - 1500 watts = 4500 watts dissipation at modulation peak.

Efficiency is worse for the unmodulated carrier and assuming traditional
symmetrical modulation, the carrier must be half as efficient as peak
modulation, so...

Class A CARRIER efficiency = 12.5%.
375 watt output.
375 / .125 =  3000 watts input required.

3000 watts input - 375 watts rf out = 2625 watts dissipation at carrier.

The percentage of time you are closer to carrier compared to 100% modulation
determines the average dissipation which will always be changing with
speech.

In this example, the dissipation varies between 2625 and 4500 watts.

I bet a 3cx3000 amp would do it, but it would be a lot happier class B.  :)

73',
Jeff/KA5MIR