Re: [Amps] Russian power L-coupler

To: "Angel Vilaseca" <avilaseca@bluewin.ch>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Russian power L-coupler
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:10:26 -0500
> Has anyone tried to use these couplers in a tank circuit?
> Both coils
> could be tuned by variable capacitors and the coupling
> between the two
> coils would then be optimized for maximum power output.

They are sometimes called variometers.

They have terrible Q at minimum inductance, especially at
higher frequencies. Of all the common methods, this is the
least efficient way to vary inductance over a wide range.

I'd stay away from them unless there is no other option, or
unless the desired inductance adjustment range is very
small!

73 Tom