[Amps] Optoisolator for Keying Collins 30L-1 to Modern Rigs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Optoisolator for Keying Collins 30L-1 to Modern Rigs
From: "JOS Earthlink" <jsternmd@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 20:53:38 -0500
Hi Group,

I want to key my 30L-1 with my Kenwood TS-950SD.  The 30L-1 antenna relay
has -170v relative to chassis ground and required grounding.  My TS-950SD
amp relay cannot handle that.  I have seen 2 solutions: the "AmpKeyer"
(theheathkitshop.com) and a simpler one, Sofkey by "Harbach".

Question is for routine SSB (and some occasional CW) does one really need an
optoisolator circuit controlling a relay rather than just a lowvoltage power
source plus a well rated (250vdc 2a) low voltage relay?

73 Jerry
K1JOS