Re: [Amps] Optoisolator for Keying Collins 30L-1 to Modern Rigs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Optoisolator for Keying Collins 30L-1 to Modern Rigs
From: "slifamily" <slifamily@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 10:27:48 -0500
Thanks for the clear and detailed answer. I impulsively bought the Ampkeyer
recently which really is a great value and beautifully constructed.  But the
Ampkeyer manual says not to use the MOSFET circuit for amps like the 30L-1
as they were not designed to handle the 30L-1 antenna relay voltage/current.
So I used the Ampkeyer's mechanical relay option and it was at that point I
realized that I could have put something identical together much more easily
and cheaper from my junkbox (though the Ampkeyer is pretty inexpensive).  I
guess the bottom line is how well can the finals in my TS-950SD handle the
transient high SWR's until the 30L-1 relay kicks in - probably not a problem
in the short-term but the noise you pointed out makes much more sense as an
issue to avoid.

There is a technical service bulletin available on the Kenwood site that
explains how to delay the application of RF power until the amplifier relay
has switched.

Kenwood posted this TSB in response to problems they were having with the
TL-922 and its slow relay.  The same technique would apply to any other
relay operated PA.

Steve
KT4FY