Re: [Amps] EIMAC (8877 TYPE)

To: <Gudguyham@aol.com>, <rbonner@qro.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] EIMAC (8877 TYPE)
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 06:01:33 -0500
> The opinion of the poster  who would never build up a 6
> meter amp  around
> 3-500's has his opinion and perhaps would opt for a
> different tube (if he  was
> building).

There you go doing exactly what you complain about in
others. I've built dozens of six meter and near six meter
maps over the years, including 3-500Z's and even sweep
tubes.

If someone wants to butcher a good SB220 or SB200 and
convert a what was reasonable HF amp to a monoband amp that
will always be on the edge of stability that's fine, but
let's not pretend the RF layout and tubes in most HF amps
lend themselves to being great VHF amps.

Saying something isn't the best choice isn't the same as
saying something can't work. It's simply saying there are
better options to consider.

73 Tom