[Amps] FL-2100 Grid Metering

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] FL-2100 Grid Metering
From: VE6TI <ve6ti@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 22:34:55 -0700
Thanks to all the responded to my inquiry earlier in the week, the
suggestions were helpful and lead to discovery that I had indeed
tapped into the relay coil line instead of the RFC.  Both lines are
in the same bundle and have the same colour coding.  I had checked
for continuity and the multi-meter "beeped" so I thought I had the
right one.   Well at least that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Having played with this a bit now on 20 meters I find that dipping
the plate and loading for maximum power output for a given exciter
setting is coincident with about 85 ma of grid current.  Additional
grid current.  I could easily exceed 100 ma with a relatively small
amount of added loading.  I have read several comments that one
should advance the loading beyond maximum power output to reduce the
grid current, however in this case the opposite is occurring.
Perhaps this is why Yaesu did not include grid metering and advises
dip and load for max plate current provided that it does not exceed
0.5 A.

I will try the other bands out and if I find different behaviour will
post again.

Thanks to all

VE6TI
gordon Hungerford