Re: [Amps] 3-500z - intermittent filament

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500z - intermittent filament
From: "David G4FTC" <g4ftc@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 17:11:06 +0000

From: "Robert B. Bonner" wrote

Well the amplifiers where where air blew sideways across the tubes and pins instead of through the sockets or didn?t have enough airflow due to NOISE CONCERNS developed a syndrome.

That reminds me of a conversation I had with someone on the Alpha stand at Dayton a few years ago.

I commented upon what I thought was a rather hot exhaust temperature on one of their amps and asked whether it would have been better to increase the airflow.

The answer was quite simple - blower/fan noise is the biggest turn-off to potential buyers. More air flow means more noise, and in order to sell an amplifier in an amateur market, blower/fan noise must be kept to the absolute minimum.

However, the use of the ceramic bases and the fan as opposed to a proper blower and Eimac air system sockets for the SB-220 and the L4B is more likely to be for commercial reasons - i.e. getting a product to market for no more than a certain price.

David G4FTC