Re: [Amps] Drake L4B

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake L4B
From: "Rick Stealey" <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 20:32:26 +0000
Speaking of L4B's you guys got me going on investigating a little problem
with mine.  I don't know why this started happening because it was ok until
now, but I noticed the 1000MP started cycling the keying lead about 4 times
after sending cw.  In other words, when I send cw the 1000MP goes into
transmit mode and keys up the L4B line, and when I stop sending there is a
1/2 second delay until the vox relay drops out in the transceiver.  But it
clicked in on and off about once a second for about 4 cycles then stopped.
I assumed the relay dropout in the L4B was somehow kicking back into the
transceiver.  I measured the open circuit voltage in the L4B keying line at
30 volts and keyed it up with a clip lead and yikes! you should see the arc!
  I tried a diode in series (schematic shows one internal to the L4B as
well), a diode across the line and an 0.01 capacitor bypass - no change in
apparent arc size.  So I made up a little transistor switch consisting of a
PNP transistor and a 1k resistor - bingo, problem solved.  I was amazed how
simple of a fix this is, and surely the relay in the MP will be much
happier.  The 2N2905 I used is rated at 60 volts, so it might give out but
what the heck, if it does I will go hunting for a higher rated one.
All you need is a PNP transistor and a resistor.  The transistor collector
goes to ground, the emitter goes to the keying line (the plug on the back of
the amp), the base is connected to the transceiver line through a 1 k
resistor.  That's all there is to it.  It would be a nice to just
incorporate the 2 parts internally next time I have it opened up.

Rick  K2XT