Re: [Amps] General question on filament life

To: "'Gary Myers'" <garymyers@powerc.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] General question on filament life
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 18:12:11 -0600
> Subject: Re: [Amps] General question on filament life
> ...and the 3 minute time delay on the amp comes in here as well - begging
> for the "leave it on" scenario - I have lost opportunities due to this
> wait
> time more often than one would think!
>
> the more general result of this conversation - if there is an objective
> result - is to aid others in knowing the answer as well... instead of
> being
> told "don't cycle your amp too much"!

I have 2 amps here; one is "instant-on" and one has a 4 minute delay at
start-up. The latter is turned on every time I turn on my transceiver. I
don't think of it as a separate "accessory." I use it for every QSO I make.
I have too much respect for my fellow operators. I try to supply them with
the best possible signal so they won't have to listen to noise and fading. I
too have missed some juicy DX in the past waiting for the amp to warm up!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC