Re: [Amps] General question on filament life: comments

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] General question on filament life: comments
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 23:36:02 +0000

TexasRF@aol.com wrote:

> Wonder if any study has been given to the life of these lamps when the turn
> on current is limited. In other words, would the "about ready to fail" time
> be
>  increased by providing some turn on current limiting protection? Maybe the
> turn  on cycles wears the lamp out more than the actual on hours?
I'm sure I recall a piece by Bob Pease of NatSemi in his 'Pease
Porridge' column in Electronic Design where he talked about adding surge
limiter thermistors to lighting circuits and extending bulb life
enormously. I miss that column a lot these days. I can't remember ever
changing a bulb that's on a dimmer where it's always wound up from zero.

Steve