Re: [Amps] General question on filament life: comments

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] General question on filament life: comments
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:01:43 +0000

Harold Mandel wrote:
> Steve,
>
> The modified sawtooth waveform from a dimmer
> would seem to stress the metallic filament of a tungsten
> bulb more.
>
> Let's compare the waveform of pure D.C.,  versus a sine wave,
> versus a sawtooth wave, each being loaded by a tungsten
> wire that provides resistance.
>
> I don't know this, so it's why I'm posting.
Me neither - given the coiled spring construction of many bulb filaments
I can imagine mechanical resonances at line frequencies, but my
experience is that bulbs on dimmers seem to last a long time. I can't
give an example lifetime as I can't think of a failure, but I've several
which have been going on and off anything from 2-10 times daily for 12+
years.

Steve

Steve