Re: [Amps] Power Transistor Question -- 2SC5125

To: "'Manfred Mornhinweg'" <mmornhin@gmx.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power Transistor Question -- 2SC5125
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:11:26 -0600
Good Morning guys,

I would say the transistor manufacturers have "Designed IN" the proper
amount of conductivity in their Junction to case joints.

Where the fault lies is the radio manufacturer cannot take for granted the
ability to get the heat AWAY from the component.  We know the transistor is
going to be generating massive amounts of heat in transmit, but it becomes
the heat sink's job to keep it flowing away from the device.

Ham rigs aren't built the way they were in 1960.  They are packed as tightly
as they can be to get them smaller and smaller.

A 781 flipped to FM, AM, RTTY, man there's a rig that would SMELL HOT.
Underdesigned power supply, you name it.  You'd burn yourself on the back of
the radio they'd get so hot.  If you can light your stogie on the back of
your rig, there's a problem.

If the manufacturers use good heat spreading techniques, and then have the
spreaders conducting to a large enough heat sink for the duty. Then cool it
with a proper fan or convection the radios would be OK.  Unfortunately the
ball is getting dropped here.

You can make up some of the problem by blowing more air (as I suggested
earlier).  But I think the problem in the radios is not just the size of the
fan, but the SIZE OF THE EVERYTHING.  Radio, heatsink, fan, powersupply, air
paths.. Then YOU slip the radio into a warm busy location.

Now lets lean on the internal power control and see what happens.

First it gets nasty wide, and then POOF.

I can guarantee ICOM is still thinking "SIZE" when designing the 7800.  They
said OK rack size and then how deep can we go?  I know they said, HEY these
have to ship UPS...  What will UPS handle?  What a radio manufacturer has to
say is, SIZE AND WEIGHT DOESN'T MATTER.  I'm going to build a rig and I
don't care how big and heavy it gets.

But Girly Man has to be able to lift it...  I say that's what friends are
for.

How much thought did Art Collins put into the KW-1 as far as the final
WEIGHT of the radio went?  I bet he didn't lay awake at night worrying about
that at all.

You can tell the marketing department was busy by the KWS-1...  These aren't
Stereos they're transmitters.  Its supposed to take 4 guys to move a
transmitter.  That's the fellowship involved in radio..  When the work is
done, It's Millertime; who brought the beer?

BOB DD